Sunday, February 24, 2008

Guilty Pleasure Music

I'll be the first to admit, my musical tastes would make even the most kind-hearted "music snob" want to smash me in the face with a manhole cover. I don't seek out "indie" music, nor do I run away from it. To me, how many albums an artist has sold hold little sway when I'm deciding what I want to listen to. I can't honestly think of a time where I've ever said something along the lines of "Such and such a band really sounded good before they Sold Out". My only requirement for music is that it sounds good to me. However, this is where the trouble usually starts.

I'll raise my hand right now and proudly say, I do not like many of the older bands that are considered "legends" of Rock and Roll. I don't like Led Zeppelin (save for 2 or 3 songs), I don't like Pink Floyd (again, 2 or 3 songs by them are what I would consider "decent") and I absolutely cannot stand Rush. Sorry, but the lead singer warbles like he's got his ball-sack locked in a bench-clamp. He sings like a fat chick.

That being said, my musical tastes are varied and eclectic, likely more-so than anybody else you're able to meet. Come on, I have made mixed CD's that include the musical stylings of Frank Sinatra, Britney Spears, and Dr. Dre...it doesn't get stranger than that. But, and this is where things get embarrassing, I also have a slight affinity for some Soft Rock 1970's era Easy Listening music. My favorite "Guilty Pleasure" song is Carly Simon "You're So Vain". I don't know why I like this song, but if I'm scanning through the channel selection on the Sirius in my car, and happen upon this song, I'll listen to it. I have to listen to it, I have no choice.



Needs More Cowbell

Back when I was in my mid 20's and used to actually be concerned that people thought what I listened to was "cool" (ok, so I still feel that way to a certain extent....the Britney Spears doesn't get cranked up until I'm cruising out in the country where I won't have the embarrassment of being 33 and sitting at a red light with "Hit Me Baby One More Time" turned up and the sunroof open), I was totally busted out on this song at work one day. I put in a CD I had of all Easy Listening music to chill out, and forgot to plug my headphones into my laptop. Soon my office was inundated with Carly Simon music. Bad stuff.

Wait...what? I had an entire CD's worth of this Easy Listening CRAP? Dude, seriously....I don't think we should be friends anymore.

Well screw you! Yea, I did. And You're So Vain wasn't the most audibly offensive song on there.










It could be worse I suppose....it's not like I still have the lyrics to Ice Ice Baby memorized....only....I do. I'm gonna go drink some bleach now.

No comments: